Dealing With Termite Activity On Your Property
Known as the “silent destroyers” of the pest world, they feed on wood and other construction materials like plaster and siding, making their way into the core of your property and threatening its structural integrity. Here at A-1 Bonded Termite, we deal with all kinds of termite problems, addressing all species and invasion types, including the three major types of termites:
- Dampwood termites
- Drywood termites
- Subterranean termites
As termites build colonies near wood for easy access to food, they quickly multiply and set up multiple infestation sites on your property, both inside and outside. One colony can contain thousands upon thousands of termites. Though their colonies are large, termites are relatively small pests. Ongoing pest control for your Anaheim home is the best way to protect yourself from massive structural damage caused by termites.
What Do Termites Look Like?
Termites look kind of like ants, though they’re slightly larger than ants, not to mention much more destructive. To help you in your termite detection efforts, here are some basic ways to identify these wood-eaters:
- The body of a termite consists of two segments and a straight abdomen.
- They have distinct appendages, antennae, and six legs.
- Termites vary in size, ranging from 1/8 to 1 inch long.
- They vary in color from white to brown to black (depending on their life stage).
No matter what kind of termite you’re dealing with, the bottom line is that these invaders are destructive, and they mean business. The absolute best way to deal with a termite infestation is to call on the experts.
The Dangers Of Termites In Your Anaheim Home
When it comes to the damage termites can cause, it’s surprisingly massive, considering their tiny size. As cellulose-feeders, termites eat common construction materials that make up the structure of your home or business.
They eat away at moisture-damaged wood around your property, threatening the structural integrity over time and eroding it from the inside out. Slowly but surely, termites erode the structural timbers of your house, making it an unsafe environment.
Not only is termite damage a huge threat to your safety, but it can also be a huge financial problem. The scope of the damage can be jarring, costing homeowners hundreds of thousands of dollars every single year.
In fact, the NPMA (National Pest Management Association) estimates that U.S. home and business owners spend around five billion dollars annually on termite repair and prevention costs. What makes things worse is that most homeowners’ insurance doesn’t cover termite damage.
Helpful Ways To Proactively Prevent Termite Activity
Now that you understand the scope of the damage that termites can cause, there’s no denying that it’s a real issue, and it’s a lot more threatening than you may think. The best thing you can do is take preventative action and be proactive in your termite prevention efforts. Here are some ways to prevent termite activity around your property:
- Apply loose mortar or weatherstripping around doors and windows.
- Avoid any wood-to-soil contact throughout the property.
- Divert water from the house by maintaining functional gutters.
- Eliminate any rotting or moisture-damaged wood.
- Eliminate excess moisture around the property.
- Examine any wood or wooden items brought onto your property
- Fix downspouts to extend further away from the house
- Fix leaky pipes, faulty faucets, and plumbing issues.
- Grow indoor plants that are known for absorbing humidity.
- Install a dehumidifier in moisture-rich areas of the house
- Install vent fans in moisture-rich areas like kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms.
- Keep outdoor lights turned off at night, as termites gravitate to light sources.
- Make sure woodpiles and wooden structures are kept a good distance from the house
- Make sure your soil has good drainage to reduce moisture.
- Monitor mulch distribution as mulch contains moisture.
- Reduce excess moisture throughout the property.
- Service your HVAC unit on a regular basis to control moisture levels.
These preventative measures give you a great jumping-off point from which you can continue to be proactive in your termite control efforts. However, the safest and most effective way to control pests around your Anaheim business or home is to seek professional pest protection. Call A-1 Bonded Termite today for comprehensive protection from termite infestations.