The Best Way To Keep Silverfish Out Of Your Anaheim Residence
January 05, 2023 - Silverfish
You have just noticed signs of pest damage in your Anaheim residence. Worse still, you have just seen some silvery pests crawling around on walls or floors at night. What could these creepy insects be, and what is attracting them to your house? You are probably facing a silverfish infestation and need Anaheim pest control services urgently.
Here at A-1 Bonded Termite, we deal with all pest infestations. In this guide, you will learn what silverfish are, why they are not welcome in your home, and how to get rid of silverfish once and for all.
Silverfish: What Are They?
Silverfish are neither fish nor silver. They are sometimes referred to as paper fish or bristletails, though they belong to the Lepisma saccharinum species. They are gray or silver with bodies covered in tiny fish-like scales. Their bodies are broader at their heads and taper towards the posterior, where there are three bristle-covered appendages.
A silverfish in Anaheim measures about half to one inch long and has a lifespan of about eight years. Silverfish mainly feed on starch. That's why you will find them mostly in books, boxes, heaps of paper, and other household items.
The Problem With Silverfish In The House
Silverfish are harmful to humans. They won't sting or bite you or carry pathogens or diseases. The only problem with silverfish is that they are destructive. They will destroy your building materials and household goods, and you will also see silverfish holes in your clothes. These are pests you wouldn't want to be in your home.
Additionally, if you have an allergic family member, these insects can cause severe allergic reactions. Silverfish feces or their skin molts mainly cause these. They may experience mucus buildup, cough, and itching.
How Do Silverfish Find Their Way Into Homes?
If silverfish infested your home, you might wonder where they came from. Silverfish will invade your home for four main reasons, as described below:
- Shelter: These bugs like well-protected moist areas near sinks, basements, books, and furniture. Moisture is necessary for their survival.
- Food sources: All living things need food, and silverfish aren't an exception. In particular, they like pet foods, cereals, grains, fabrics, sugars, fibers, and any starchy materials like books, papers, and cartons. If you leave food in easily accessible places, these bugs will come calling.
- Where to lay their eggs: These bugs like laying eggs in hidden and moist places. You will find silverfish eggs and larvae in moist, dark places.
- Hiding places: Silverfish themselves are food for other insects or animals. They like hidden places like basements, bookshelves, and behind furniture.
While eliminating the above attractant can help reduce their population in your home, you need a home pest control company to help eradicate them for good.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Silverfish On Your Anaheim Property
The steps you can take to get rid of silverfish in your Anaheim property include the following:
- Keeping your home clean: Silverfish will have no reason to invade your home if there's nothing to feed on.
- Store dry food in sealable containers: Buy some airtight containers to store pet foods and dry foods.
- Get rid of their food sources: Silverfish eat both inorganic and organic materials. They will migrate to your neighbor's house by getting rid of their food sources. You can remove dry leaves, wood piles, dead plants, brush piles, piles of papers, and old books and boxes.
- Seal all cracks and crevices: Silverfish use cracks as hiding places. Make sure you seal cracks around doors and windows and in furniture.
Even with the above steps, you cannot get rid of silverfish 100%. You need the services of a reputable pest control company like A-1 Bonded Termite. We help commercial and residential properties from Anaheim, CA, to get rid of silverfish and other pests. Call our team today for immediate action if you notice silverfish infestation signs.