How To Safely Get Rid Of Rodents On Your Anaheim Property
February 24, 2023 - Rodents
People living in Anaheim, California, have an authenticity to them that is attractive. This authenticity is evident on Main Street, where people can experience unique, diverse, and engaging sights that are sure to tickle their senses. Whether it's family-friendly activities or welcoming residential areas, Anaheim is a great place to call home. One pest in the area that also finds residential areas appealing is the local rodent population. With so many lovely homes to choose from, residents may need the help of Anaheim pest control to keep these critters from moving in permanently.
Types Of Rodents That Invade Anaheim Homes
There isn't a place in America where people can escape encounters with rodents, and Anaheim has its fair share. Three rodents are especially prone to end up indoors, so it's a good idea to take note of their distinguishing characteristics.
Three common house rodents include:
- House mice are small with rounded bodies that measure 2 ½ to 3 ¾ inches long with an additional 4 inches tacked on for tails. Their fur is typically dusty-gray with a creamy underbelly. They have large ears, small black eyes, and pointed noses.
- Roof rats are sleek, long, and slender. Their fur is typically brown with patches of black interspersed, and their bellies are often black, gray, or white. They measure (including their scaly tail) about 16 inches long. Their ears and eyes are on the large side, and they have pointed noses.
- Norway rats are the "beefy" counterparts to roof rats; they typically measure 7 to 9 ½ inches long. Their bristly fur is typically brown, with black hairs scattered throughout, and their bellies are typically grayish to off-white. Their nose is more rounded/blunt, and they have small eyes and ears. Whatever version of a rodent you're dealing with, none bring good things to homes. At the first sign of rodent activity, it is essential to contact experts like A-1 Bonded Termite for effective rodent control.
Rodents Can Make You Sick And Damage Property
Rodents bring a couple of issues to area homes. First, they are destructive. Rodents have teeth that constantly need wearing down; that means they continually gnaw on things. When rodents get inside homes, drywall, packages of food, wood, and electrical wire (fire hazards) are all subject to their grinding teeth. When they get behind walls or attics, they also use their teeth to shred items such as insulation and stored materials. Perhaps more concerning is a rodent's ability to bring contamination and disease to homes.
Their saliva, feces, and urine come in contact with surfaces, and dust from their feces can float through the air, irritating allergy and asthma sufferers. Rodents carry bacteria that often result in diseases like tularemia, lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCM), leptospirosis, salmonellosis, rat-bite fever, jaundice, cowpox virus, and trichinosis. On top of everything else, rodents bring other pests into homes that can make people uncomfortable or sick, like mites, lice, fleas, and ticks. Homeowners need a trusted pest company like A-1 Bonded Termite to eliminate home and health hazards created by rodents.
How To Safely Get Rid Of Rodents In Your Home
Rodents in Anaheim must get handled with care because you don't have to touch these critters to get sick. Handling their feces, touching contaminated surfaces, and breathing in contaminated air can sicken homeowners; therefore, it is essential to use special equipment and products that ensure safe elimination. At A-1 Bonded Termite, our service technicians are educated on the most up-to-date rodent control services in Anaheim and equipped with the tools to restore homes to their healthy condition.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Rodents And Keep Them Out
Rodents looking for shelter, food, and moisture are difficult to keep from homes, but homeowners can help deter them. Some simple fixes around your home can go a long way to stopping rodents from getting cozy indoors.
Ways to help steer rodents away from your Anaheim home include:
- Use a silicone-based caulking material to seal gaps, cracks, and holes around your foundation.
- Repair leaky fixtures (inside and out) that provide a moisture source.
- Keep food items stored in tightly-sealed glass containers.
- Keep homes clean and store trash in tightly-sealed containers.
Ultimately, the best way to get rid of rodents and keep them out is with services from A-1 Bonded Termite. Established in 1976, we are a third-generation family-owned and operated company with over 40 years of experience in rodent control. Call A-1 Bonded Termite today for a free inspection and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Anaheim. We'll treat you just like we would our family members.