How To Keep Wasps Away From My Anaheim Home
July 28, 2022 - Wasps
Of all the stinging insects, wasps are among the most feared. They can sting multiple times, and their aggressive nature doesn't make them any more popular with homeowners.
Coming across a wasp nest is never a pleasant experience, and it's often best to prevent wasps from taking up residence in or around your Anaheim home in the first place.
If you've ever dealt with a wasp issue, you know how difficult it can be to remove it safely and effectively. Fortunately, Anaheim pest control companies have the experience and expertise to safely and effectively eliminate wasp nests from your property.
Common Types Of Wasps Found In Anaheim
Anaheim's climate is conducive to many different types of wasps. A few of the most common species include:
- Paper wasp: These wasps are about ½ an inch long and are reddish-brown or black. They build their nests from paper-like material they make by combining chewed wood with saliva.
- Yellow jacket: Yellow jackets are about ¾ of an inch long and have yellow and black stripes. Their nests are usually underground but can also be found in trees, shrubs, and even attics or crawl spaces.
- Bald-faced hornet: As their name suggests, these wasps are black with white markings on their face. They build their nests out of chewed wood pulp and often suspend them from tree branches.
- Mud dauber: Mud daubers are about an inch long and are black with narrow waists. They get their name from the mud nests they build.
Hornets, in particular, can be a real problem since they build their nests in trees and shrubs. If the nest is close to your home, you may find yourself dealing with wasps both inside and outside your home.
So, the next time you come across a black and yellow wasp, slowly back away and call your local pest control contractor for assistance.
Some Wasps Are More Dangerous Than Others
While all wasps can sting, some species are more dangerous than others. For example, yellow jackets and hornets are more aggressive and can cause severe allergic reactions in some people.
Signs and symptoms of a serious allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) include:
- Swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- Difficulty breathing
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
If you're allergic to wasp stings, seek medical attention immediately if you are stung. Even if you're not allergic, it's still a good idea to see a doctor if you're stung more than once.
Always call a professional for safe wasp removal. Don't try to remove the nest on your own. It's not worth it. Experts have the proper equipment and training to safely and effectively eliminate wasps from your property.
Five Naturally Effective Wasp Prevention Tips For Your Yard
Wasp prevention is always the best course of action, but it's not always possible to keep them away altogether.
However, there are a few things you can do to make your yard less inviting to wasps:
- Keep food and drinks covered when outdoors.
- Regularly clean up any food or drink spills.
- Avoid using sweet-smelling perfumes, lotions, or hair products.
- Trim back any bushes or trees near your home.
- Eliminate standing water from your property.
By following these simple tips, you can make your yard less attractive to wasps and other stinging insects.
However, if you have a wasp problem or simply want to take preventative measures, contact your local pest exterminator. They know all the best ways to get rid of wasps in Anaheim and can help you keep your home and yard wasp-free all season long.
Contact The Pros For Total Wasp Control Around Your Home
When it's all said and done, the only recommended way to keep wasps away from your home is to contact the professionals. At A1 Bonded Termite, we believe no family should have to share their home with unwanted pests.
Our team of expert pest control technicians will diligently work to identify the root of your problem and come up with a customized plan to eliminate them. Give us a call today for your free consultation.
We look forward to working with you.