A Handy Wasp Control Guide For Anaheim Homeowners
April 10, 2022 - Stinging Insects
Living in Southern California has its fair share of perks. The same thing that draws people to this area of the state - weather, sunshine, and flowering plants - also attracts its fair share of pests. If you spend a lot of time outside, having to fend off wasps is probably not on your list of ways to spend your evenings and weekends. There are a few ways to help keep wasps out of your yard, but the professionals have the best wasp prevention and wasp removal. Regular pest control in Anaheim is the most effective solution.
The Types Of Wasps Commonly Found In Anaheim
There are several types of wasps in Orange County. While hornets are a type of wasp, there are no hornets on the West Coast. What we do have, however, are these three common wasps:
- Mud Dauber Wasp: Their nests are made of mud and resemble pencil-shaped tubes. Look for their nests in sheltered corners, for example, under porch ceilings, eaves, and garages. Mud daubers are not aggressive, but that doesn’t mean they won’t sting.
- Paper Wasp: These wasps generally do not attack unprovoked but will if they feel threatened. Look for their nests high in corners on the eaves of your home or outside furniture.
- Yellow Jacket: The yellowjacket wasp often gets confused for bees but rest assured, bees and wasps are very different. While they both thrive in a garden environment and play a crucial role in our ecosystem, yellow jackets are aggressive without provocation. Their nests are in the ground and can easily be stirred up just walking around your backyard.
The Reasons Wasps Around Your Yard Can Be A Problem
Wasps are beneficial to have around because they pollinate flowers and crops and eat spiders and other insects. However, they can be aggressive and sting, so seeing them in your garden or yard can be disconcerting. Here are some of the reasons you might be seeing these stinging pests around your home:
- They are nesting or burrowing, and your home provides a safe haven because of shade, dark corners, or tall grass.
- They are looking for and preying on insects or larvae in your yard or under the soil.
- They are searching for sugar, whether in the form of fruit that has fallen from fruit trees, spilled food or drinks, or "honeydew," a sticky, sugary substance secreted by aphids.
Since some wasps attack without reason, you don’t want them too close for comfort. It’s your yard, not theirs.
Five Easy And Effective Wasp Prevention Tips For Your Yard
There are a few things you can do around your property to try and keep wasps from nesting:
- Keep your lawn mowed. Wasps, especially ground-burrowing ones like yellow jackets, like to be hidden and love tall, lush grass.
- Don’t leave open or spilled food and drinks outside.
- Clean up and throw away fallen fruits and berries from your fruit trees.
- Keep your trash cans tightly covered.
- Hire the professionals at A-1 Bonded Termite for regular pest maintenance.
Leave the removal of wasps and their nests to the experts. While there are DIY pest control methods, the risk of being stung is not worth it.
Contact The Pros For The Safe Removal Of A Wasp Infestation
The safest and best way to get rid of wasps in Anaheim is by hiring professionals. At A-1 Bonded Termite, our licensed experts are highly skilled and trained to protect you, your family, and your home against wasps and other pests. Contact us today for your free inspection and ask about our low environmental impact pest solutions for your residence. It’s your yard, so you deserve to enjoy it without fear of being stung.