Should I Be Worried About Spiders In Anaheim?
June 03, 2023 - Spiders
Do you have an uninvited eight-legged guest lurking around your home? While some spiders can be harmless, others can pose a threat. As a homeowner in Anaheim, it's important to know which spiders to look out for and when to call for professional pest control in Anaheim.
Common Spiders Found Around Anaheim
Anaheim is home to a variety of California spiders that you might encounter in and around your home. The black widow is a venomous spider that can be easily identified by its black color and the red hourglass shape on its abdomen. The brown recluse, though rare in California, can sometimes be found in Anaheim. They have a venomous bite that can cause severe reactions, and they can be recognized by the dark violin-shaped marking on their back.
Less harmful local species include jumping spiders, wolf spiders, and cellar spiders. Jumping spiders have black bodies and compact legs and frequently invade homes. Wolf spiders are large, hairy, and can appear intimidating, but they are harmless and pose no real threat to humans. Finally, daddy longlegs, also known as cellar spiders, are prevalent in homes and pose no risk to humans.
Mistakes Anaheim Homeowners Make To Attract Spiders
There are several factors that can attract common house spiders in California to your home.
Here are some common mistakes homeowners make:
- Leaving clutter: Piles of debris, clothes, and other clutter create perfect hiding spots for spiders.
- Ignoring small cracks: Spiders can enter your home through tiny gaps around windows or doors or cracks in your foundation or walls.
- Not cleaning up after meals: Food crumbs and spills can attract insects, which in turn lure spiders looking for prey.
- Keeping outdoor lights on at night: Lights can attract insects, which then draw spiders to your home.
To minimize the likelihood of spider infestations, address these issues and create a less inviting environment for spiders.
How To Prevent Spider Problems In Anaheim
Proactively protecting your home from common spiders can save you from dealing with unwanted guests.
Here are some steps you can take for effective home defense against spiders:
- Keep your home clean and clutter-free: Regularly vacuum and dust to remove potential hiding spots and food sources for spiders.
- Seal entry points: Repair any cracks or gaps in and around windows, doors, and walls to prevent spiders from entering your home.
- Maintain your yard: Trim back bushes and trees to minimize hiding spots for spiders and their prey.
- Use natural deterrents: Certain essential oils, like peppermint or lavender, can help repel spiders when applied to entry points.
- Install screens on windows and doors: Adding screens can help prevent spiders and insects from entering your home.
- Use a dehumidifier: Spiders are attracted to damp environments, so reducing humidity in your home can make it less appealing to them.
- Remove webs regularly: Regularly inspect your home for spider webs and remove them promptly, as this can discourage spiders from settling in your living space.
- Limit outdoor lighting: Excess outdoor lighting can attract insects, which in turn attract spiders. Consider using motion-activated lights or yellow-tinted bulbs to reduce the population of nearby insects.
By following these prevention tips, you can keep your Anaheim home free of spiders.
Why You Should Call A-1 Bonded Termite If You're Seeing Spiders
While many spiders are harmless, some types of spiders, like the black widow, are among the most dangerous spiders in California. If you suspect you have a venomous spider infestation or are simply overwhelmed by the number of spiders in your home, it's time to call A-1 Bonded Termite. Our experienced team will assess your situation, identify the species, and implement effective solutions to keep your home spider-free. Contact us today for help with spiders and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Anaheim.