How To Get Rid Of Millipedes Around Your Anaheim Home
April 01, 2022 - Millipedes
Stumbling upon a giant millipede in your Anaheim home can be alarming. It's enough to send anyone running for pest control. But before you do that, there are a few things you should know about millipedes.
First and foremost, they're not dangerous. Millipedes don't bite or sting and aren't poisonous. In fact, they're pretty helpful around the garden. Millipedes eat dead leaves and help with plant decomposition.
Although they aren't harmful to humans, their presence can be unsettling. If you want to get rid of millipedes around your property and are tired of sweeping them up, contact pest control in Anaheim. Professionals can ensure no millipedes will ever bother you again so you can relax and enjoy your Anaheim home pest-free.
How To Identify A Millipede
There are an estimated 7,000 species of millipede globally, with some 1,400 located in the United States. Despite this, most of these species share specific physical characteristics.
For instance, millipedes have:
- Cylindrical body: They are long and thin, with a cylindrical-shaped body.
- Multiple pairs of legs: Most millipede species have two pairs of legs per body segment.
- Hard exoskeleton: Millipedes have a hard exoskeleton that covers their entire body.
- Slow movement: These critters aren't known for their speed. They move pretty slowly.
- Color: Millipedes come in various colors, including black, brown, red, and green.
If you come across an insect with these characteristics, there's a good chance it's a millipede.
The next time you come across a house millipede, contact a pest exterminator. Not only can they help you with millipede species identification, but they'll also dispose of the millipedes and help prevent them from coming back.
Millipedes Are Nuisance Pests
While keeping a pet millipede is unheard of, most people see these pests as a nuisance. Millipedes often enter Anaheim homes uninvited, searching for food and shelter.
They're attracted to damp, dark places such as basements, crawl spaces, and bathrooms. Once they're inside, they can be challenging to get rid of on your own.
Sweeping millipedes up is one option, but they'll often end up back where they started. Even though they aren't dangerous, you don't have to put up with them in your home. If you're tired of seeing these scary-looking critters around your property, it's time to contact a pest control company.
Professionals can develop a treatment plan that will get rid of the millipedes. Most will even offer you field-tested tips on avoiding a millipede infestation in the future.
Natural Ways To Keep Millipedes Away From Your Home
Most property owners are wary of using insecticides and pesticides. If you're one of them, you'll be pleased to learn there are natural millipede repellent and exclusion options.
Some of the most effective options include:
- Keep your property clean and free of debris. Millipedes love to hide in dark, moist places. If you keep your property free of leaf litter, woodpiles, and other debris, millipedes will have nowhere to hide.
- Fix any leaks. Millipedes are attracted to moisture. If you have any leaks around your property, fix them right away.
- Seal any cracks and crevices. Take a walk around your property and look for any cracks or crevices in the exterior of your home. These are entry points for millipedes. Once you find them, seal them with caulk or another type of sealant.
- Use diatomaceous earth. Diatomaceous earth is a type of powder made from the fossilized remains of algae. It's safe for humans and animals but deadly for millipedes. Sprinkle it around your property, paying special attention to entry points such as doors and windows.
It's a given that no one wants millipedes in their home. If you find yourself with a millipede problem, don't panic. You're not helpless. A certified and insured pest control firm can decisively and efficiently take care of your millipede problem so you can focus on more important things.
Contact The Professionals For More Assistance
With the rise in the cost of living, it's easy to understand why some people would want to try and handle their millipede problem themselves. However, this isn't always the best idea. Most do-it-yourself (DIY) millipede control methods are ineffective in the long run.
The only surefire way to get rid of millipedes is with A-1 Bonded Termite. We're a family-owned and operated business that has served the Anaheim area for more than 40 years.
We utilize the latest technology and eco-friendly products and methods to solve your millipede problem quickly and efficiently. All our services come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you're not happy, we'll return and re-treat your property at no additional fee.
Don't wait until millipedes have taken over your Anaheim home. Contact us today and schedule a free consultation.