How To Be Sure You Aren’t Bringing Silverfish Into Your Anaheim Home
December 21, 2022 - Silverfish
Silverfish have a strange appearance that differentiates them from other common pests like ants or spiders. They have a metallic appearance and a fish-like shape with three long tail-like appendages. They don’t have wings and don’t fly, but they can run very fast and are excellent climbers.
Seeing silverfish in your Anaheim home is enough to make anyone feel uncomfortable and can be pretty unsettling for homeowners. Fortunately, A-1 Bonded Termite is here to ensure you don’t have to face silverfish alone. Read on to learn more about these weird-looking pests, why they are a problem for your home, and how professional pest control in Anaheim can help keep your home completely silverfish-free.
How To Tell If You Have A Silverfish Problem In Your Home
Silverfish in Anaheim are quick and can be hard to spot. Since these insects typically hide in basements or attics and move very quickly, it can be hard to catch a glimpse of silverfish in your home, even if you have an infestation.
Every homeowner in Anaheim should be aware of the signs of a silverfish infestation. Knowing the signs of their presence can help you identify a silverfish infestation without actually seeing a live pest. Some common signs of silverfish include:
- Droppings: Silverfish droppings are black and look like tiny peppercorns. These droppings are often confused for dust or dirt and usually appear in the areas where silverfish frequently hide.
- Shed Skins: Silverfish molt, or shed their skin, throughout their lifecycle. Molted silverfish skin is transparent and difficult to see.
- Yellow Stains: You may see yellow stains or dust on cardboard boxes, paper, clothing, or books. This dust is a result of their molted skin deteriorating.
- Damage: Silverfish chew holes in the items they feed on. Look for holes or notches on the edges of boxes, books, paper, and other similar items.
- Silverfish Sightings: Seeing a live silverfish may be rare, but it is also a telltale sign that you have silverfish in your home.
If you see any of these signs around your home, contact a trained professional for help getting rid of your silverfish problem.
Why You Don’t Want Silverfish In Your Home
There is never good news when it comes to pests living in your Anaheim home, but one positive thing about having silverfish in your home and not some other pest is that they aren’t dangerous to humans. Silverfish don’t bite or sting and aren’t known to spread diseases.
The biggest issue with silverfish in your home is that they are destructive. If they find their way into your home, silverfish can damage your home and belongings by chewing holes in clothing, upholstery, and wallpaper. They will also eat paper and books and may even chew their way through your family photo albums.
Factors That Attract Silverfish Into Your Home
A common misunderstanding about silverfish has led many people to believe these pests are only attracted to dirty houses. This isn’t the case, but there are some contributing factors that attract silverfish to your home, including:
- Moisture: Silverfish need moisture to survive and are attracted to areas with high humidity, like basements and crawl spaces.
- Food Sources: Silverfish can eat almost anything organic and will try to find a way inside if your home provides them easy access to fibers, sugars, grains, dried cereal, pet food, or other food sources.
- Harborage: Silverfish will take up residence in areas where they can stay out of sight, like the gaps behind furniture, bookshelves, and damp basements. While a dirty house won’t attract silverfish, a cluttered basement with plenty of areas for silverfish to hide will.
If you can eliminate the factors that attract silverfish, you can prevent silverfish from entering your home.
Professional Silverfish Control For Your Home
While you may be able to take steps on your own to avoid silverfish in your home, there is no substitute for professional treatments. A home pest control plan from A-1 Bonded Termite will quickly eliminate any silverfish in your home and prevent them from returning.
Our home pest control plans always start with a thorough inspection of your property. Our trained technicians will identify any active pest infestations on your property and conditions that may be conducive to future pest problems. After our inspection, we’ll talk with you to let you know exactly what we found and what we recommend for your home.
We design our treatment plans to protect your home from many of the common pests in Anaheim, including silverfish. When you partner with us, we’ll develop a pest control plan for your home based on the results of our inspection and your specific pest control needs. After our initial treatment, we will schedule regular follow-up visits on a monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly basis.
Don’t let pests like silverfish take over your home! Call A-1 Bonded Termite today and let us keep your home pest-free, so you can enjoy life without worrying about pests and the problems they cause.