Are You Struggling With Cellar Spiders In Your Anaheim Home?
December 17, 2022 - Spiders
Like most spiders, cellar spiders have a reputation for being scary pests. More commonly known as daddy long legs, these spiders have small bodies and long, skinny legs that make them look even creepier.
Cellar spiders in your home can seem like a nightmare until you learn more about these strange, scary-looking pests. Keep reading to learn more about cellar spiders, the issues they can cause in your home, what you can do to prevent them, and how professional pest control in Anaheim can keep your home spider-free.
Types Of Spiders You May Find In Your Home
If you are like most people, the only type of spider you want to see is the one you’ve squished under your shoe. This is an entirely understandable feeling, but if you take the time to look closer, you will see that there are many different species of spiders in Anaheim.
While cellar spiders are easily recognizable by their long legs and small bodies, other species of spiders may be harder to identify. Here are a few of the other common spiders in Anaheim and how to identify them:
- Black Widow Spiders: One of the dangerous spiders in our area, black widows are easily identifiable by their shiny black coloring and the distinct red hourglass marking on their abdomen.
- Brown Recluse Spiders: Another type of venomous spider found in Anaheim, brown recluse spiders are light brown with a darker brown violin marking on their back.
- Jumping Spiders: Jumping spiders are typically black, brown, or gray with light markings. They have a fuzzy appearance and four distinct pairs of eyes. These spiders can jump up to 20 times their body length into the air.
- Wolf Spiders: These large spiders are gray and brown with hairy bodies. They don’t build webs and are typically found on the ground in basements or other dark areas hunting prey.
If you need help identifying the spider species in your home, call us today for a free inspection, and let us get to the bottom of your spider problem.
The Problem With Cellar Spiders On Your Property
Cellar spiders are a common spider found in Anaheim. As their name suggests, they prefer to make their webs in dark, damp spaces like cellars, basements, crawlspaces, and garages.
There is a myth that cellar spiders have deadly venom that they can’t inject into humans because their fangs are too short, but scientists have proven this to be false. Cellar spiders are considered more of a nuisance pest than a dangerous spider.
The biggest issue associated with cellar spiders is how quickly an infestation can grow out of hand. This species can produce up to 30 offspring per year, so a few cellar spiders will soon become a large infestation.
Six Simple Tips To Prevent Cellar Spiders In Your Home
Even if they aren’t dangerous, you still don’t want cellar spiders to take up residence in your home. Here are six tips to help prevent cellar spiders:
- Seal cracks and crevices around your home
- Ensure doors and windows seal properly
- Use a dehumidifier to limit moisture in your home
- Make sure your cellar and other unused rooms have proper ventilation
- Consider switching to yellow outdoor lights to avoid attracting other pests that cellar spiders prey on
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from your home
Working with a professional pest control company like A-1 Bonded Termite can also help limit the number of pests around your home, including cellar spiders and the insects that attract them. To get started with spider control for your home, reach out to us today!
Total Spider Control For Your Business
Cellar spiders aren’t only a problem for homeowners. Spiders can also make customers and employees feel uncomfortable in your commercial building. Some spiders are dangerous, but most are just a nuisance. Either way, having spiders crawling around your business is a surefire way to drive away potential business. A commercial pest control plan from A-1 Bonded Termite is the best way to keep your business spider-free.
After thoroughly inspecting your building and property, we will develop a custom home pest control plan to meet your exact needs. Our commercial pest control plans will eliminate spiders and their webs, plus take the steps necessary to remove other common Anaheim pests that scare your customers away and attract spiders. We’ll also schedule routine follow-up visits to ensure spiders and other pests don’t return.
If you’re worried about spiders and the issues they can cause for your business, give us a call today. Our spider control experts will make sure your business can operate spider-free and give you one less thing to worry about when it comes to the day-to-day operations of your business.