Bed bugs are indoor pests that hitchhike from one location to another. If they hitchhike into your home, they can create problems. Often, the problems created by bed bugs are not linked to them at first. If you don't recognize the early signs of bed bugs, these irritating pests can spread to other parts of the home, or to other homes. Join us as we look at how to detect and evaluate a bed bug problem, the unique way bed bugs spread, and how a bed bug problem can come back to bite you if you don't deal with it early. If you already have a widespread bed bug infestation and you are in need of local pest control for bed bugs, navigate to our contact page or call us for service. A1 Bonded Termite offers a wide range of residential and commercial pest control services. While we built our name on offering the highest level of termite control, we have since grown to provide industry-leading pest control solutions in Anaheim, including bed bugs.
Bed Bug Bites Are Usually The First Sign Of A Problem
It is hard to ignore a bug that bites you. At some point, you will start to notice bed bug bites. It is likely that bite wounds will provide your first sign of an infestation. But bites aren't always an early warning sign. Here are a few facts to consider:
Not all people react to bed bug bites the same. It is possible to have bites so minor that they go undetected.
Bed bug bites are typically milder at the onset of an infestation. Over time, with repeated exposure, the bites worsen—going from tiny bumps to irritating welts. During this time, you may notice other signs.
When an infestation begins, only one or two bed bugs may bite you if you pick up a couple of adult bed bugs while away from home. A fewer number of bites can go unnoticed.
Newly hatched bed bugs often cause minor wounds compared to adults. The wounds may have a significant rash, and you may think that the bumps are part of the rash. Since a rash can have tiny bumps, you might not realize the bumps are bug bites.
If you want to catch bed bugs in Anaheim early, you must know how to identify bed bug bites. You must also know what other warning signs bed bugs provide. Let's start with the anatomy of bed bug bites.
How bad is a bed bug rash? Each bite wound can have a significant rash that is large enough to encompass the surrounding bites. Some bites have little or no rash. It depends on your sensitivity.
What color is a bed bug rash? It depends on your skin type. The rash created by bed bugs is the same as any rash caused by an allergic reaction. If you've ever had a rash, a bed bug rash will be the same color as the one you had.
What do bed bug bites look like? While the size of the bumps vary, the pattern is usually consistent. Each bed bug will crawl across your skin and try to bite you three times. One bug will leave three bites in a line or zig-zag, with about an inch between the wounds. Several bugs will leave a path of bumps on your skin.
What do bed bug bites feel like? While the bug is biting you, you may not feel anything at all. Over time, the wound will become itchy and irritating. The reason for the irritation is that your body is fighting off the allergens in the bed bug saliva. The amount of discomfort is related to the severity of your reaction to the allergens.
Where will I find bed bug bites? Bed bugs are attracted to CO2 and typically bite near the shoulders, neck, and face. They're also prone to bite hands, arms, and skin that is exposed during sleep. If bed bugs bite you while you're on the couch, you may find bites on your back. If they bite you while you are at your computer, you may find bites on your feet and ankles.
Before you see bites, you may notice other warning signs. It is helpful to recognize these when you see them. Here are some quick examples:
Dried blood stains. You may see these stains on your sheets, pillowcases, bedding, and other fabrics. They may appear red, brown, or tan, depending on how long the blood has been there.
Black stains. Fecal spotting on fabrics is common with bed bug infestations. You may also see traces of blood with these stains, causing them to appear black and rusty.
Black streaks. Bed bugs sometimes leave fecal matter on solid surfaces, such as wooden bed frames, baseboards, and crown molding.
Shed skins. Bed bugs shed their skins as they develop. You may find these skins in the creases and pockets of your luggage, the seams of your mattress or box spring, or the tight spaces in your couch.
White eggs. Bed bug eggs are found where bed bug skins are found. A bed bug egg is about 1mm long, so it is only a speck.
Bugs. If you see white, tan, or reddish-brown insects crawling around, or you notice insects wiggling inside a tight gap, you may have a bed bug infestation.
If you have a mature infestation, you may also smell bed bugs. But smelling bed bugs is not an early warning sign. It is best to catch these pests as early as you can. Let's take a look at why this is the case.
The Problems That Come With A Bed Bug Infestation
Now you know how to check for bed bugs. But why is it so important? Some of the following reasons are obvious. Others are likely to surprise you. Here are five problems that come with allowing a bed bug infestation to persist.
- Bed bugs grow a population. As more bugs hatch in your home, you'll get more bites.
- Bed bugs often stay in one spot at first. If you catch them early, remediation is not nearly as complicated. Bed bug control is a process. By shortening the process, you'll save yourself money.
- When bed bugs spread, they often get into wall voids. If you live in an apartment complex, those bugs can leave your home and infest a neighboring home. After you have a professional get rid of your bugs, they could come back from your neighbor.
- When friends and family visit your home, they may pick bed bugs up. If they do, they can bring them back after you pay for professional treatment.
- Early detection and remediation are essential because bites worsen, sleep deprivation is harmful, and routine bloodletting can lead to anemia.
For advice regarding bed bug control in Anaheim, contact A1 Bonded Termite. We can help you evaluate your infestation and direct you toward an effective solution.
How Bed Bugs Hitch Rides Into Our Homes
There are a few common ways bed bugs hitch a ride. You can stop them with natural pest control for bed bugs if you know how they do it.
- You can get bed bugs when you go on a trip. Guard your luggage and your laundry, and always perform a bed bug inspection of your room.
- You can get bed bugs from work. Keep watch for the warning signs presented above, and refrain from putting bags, clothing, briefcases, duffel bags, and other items near those of coworkers.
- Your kids can bring bed bugs home from school. Teach them to detect warning signs and to guard their belongings.
- You can get bed bugs when you buy used furniture. Always perform an inspection of used items before bringing them into your home.
- You can get bed bugs from your neighbor. Consider the ways bed bugs hitchhike or pass through walls.
It is possible to prevent a bed bug infestation. Check out our other blog posts for longer and more detailed prevention tips. If bed bugs have already invaded your home, here's what you should do about them.
Contact The Pros At The First Sign Of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are incredibly frustrating pests to deal with because they are wired for survival. As soon as you detect bed bugs, contact A1 Bonded Termite for professional bed bug control in Anaheim. Here are a few ways we may help.
- We perform an inspection to locate troublespots and evaluate the conditions of your infestation.
- We may apply a fast-acting material to areas that you often touch, such as your sofa.
- We may treat your mattresses and box springs and suggest applying mattress encasements.
- We may use a residual material for long-lasting control for bed bugs that have not yet hatched from their eggs.
- We may inject a dust product in crevices, cracks, outlets, and wall voids.
- We may suggest fumigation if your bed bug infestation is beyond what conventional treatments can address.
Bed bugs are miserable pests. They're also frustrating insects to control. Act quickly and early to reduce the cost of bed bug control and save yourself from ongoing misery. For assistance in Anaheim, contact A1 Bonded Termite. We're here to help.